What is Heroes & Other Worlds?

Heroes & Other Worlds is a game of adventure inspired by Metagaming's classic Melee/Wizard/TFT system combined with inspiration from the Moldvay edited basic game. The rules are easy to learn and use standard six sided dice. The system is simple, sensible and flexible in the spirit of classic role playing games from the early 80's. Become a Hero, Other Worlds await!

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Marching on

nathan hale illustration
Hello fellow adventurers, its been a long time...

Thanks very much for keeping in touch through the tumult of the last few years.  I am at a spot now where I am starting to get some time to focus again on writing. So what am I writing? Blades & Black Magic.  Where I am at  bit of a loss though is publishing it.

I am considering 3 books:
1) Book of Blades (Warrior character creation, skills, combat, equipment)
2) Book of Black Magic (Wizard character creation, spells, combat, equipment)
3) Blades & Black Magic: combine both books+short gazetteer of regions. creatures and random charts.

The first two books would be small pocket book sized and the 3rd book would be HOW sized (6x9).

The thought behind this is smaller books are easy to pass around and digest especially for reference by a player.  If I am a warrior type that little book has all the details I need, same thing for a wizard type-one little book with all the relevant details.  For the referee, the third combined book of all rules as a reference plus some creative world stuff to spur adventure/ campaign ideas.

Not sure this is where I land, but it is my current thought and it is possible the Blades book could be done before the end of the year with the magic book done shortly after if all goes to plan.

On the HOW front, I have 2 projects in work as well: Hexplorers Handbook and a Career Compendium.  For the Hexplorer book its basically a sandbox stocking/ creation book. For the Career Compendium it is a booklet with various archetypes (Abbot, Tax Collector, Bandit, etc.) stated out with equipment, a few concept ideas and a brief overview of the character type. This could be used as NPC fodder for the Ref or as a ready made character concept for a player.

Sorry its been a long time coming. As a one knucklehead operation with a life that--like yours--fills up with the unexpected twists, sometimes my plans are not the ones that I get to execute when I want to. Appreciate your patience and thanks very much for the support.

I hope the wait will be worth it!

6 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you! Looking forward to what you produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Very sehr gut!!!!!!! We're happy :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, welcome back! I like the idea of a choice of books for B&BM and I particularly appreciate that one of the choices would be a combined book.

    Looking forward to the Hexplorers Handbook, too.

    (One knucklehead operation cracked me up.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can’t wait! I vote for option #3, combined book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey dude!

    Glad to hear you're up and running!

    Looking forward to what you've got on the horizon!

    Beau

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Glad that you've weathered the immediate storm, and even more glad that you're back to writing. I like all of the products you mention, so guess what? Here's my money! ;-)

    Seriously, welcome back, and glad to see this!

    ReplyDelete