What is Heroes & Other Worlds?

Heroes & Other Worlds is a game of adventure inspired by Metagaming's classic Melee/Wizard/TFT system combined with inspiration from the Moldvay edited basic game. The rules are easy to learn and use standard six sided dice. The system is simple, sensible and flexible in the spirit of classic role playing games from the early 80's. Become a Hero, Other Worlds await!

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Numbers

To follow up on the streamlined skill idea of BBM I graphed the expected numerical range differences based on the different levels.

Inexperienced--4 dice/attribute
Trained-3 dice/ attribute
Expert-4 dice/attribute--but only use 3 lowest dice rolled

Marek suggested for Inexperienced using 4 dice but only using 3 highest rolled. 

Looking at the results? I would still prefer 4dice/attribute but let me know your thoughts!

15 comments:

  1. I like the 4 dice for inexperienced level. Makes more sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the 4 dice spread, the drop lowest outcomes are too close to trained for inexperienced to feel qualitively different in play

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, as you wish :) but I see there an ideal, divine symmetry. Look at the two guards alongside the main, yellow graph... Hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since 4 dice is what is currently used for those without a skill, I go with 4 dice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think 4 dice is the sweet spot, thanks all

    ReplyDelete
  7. i do like that symmetry that Marek refers to. however, drop the lowest seems to make the skills more 'optional' while keeping all 4 dice makes the skills more 'required'. i'm ok either way but i can see someone like myself getting drop the lowest and drop the highest mixed up very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll take every solution. That's no problem 4mee :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I much prefer the symmetry, especially because it's arbitrarily extensible in either direction, should you wish to do so (not that there's much point in rolling more than 6 dice and keeping the highest or lowest).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any news? We're concerned with news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Markek--sorry I have been working 55+ hours a week since the start of the year and between that and business trips I have not had time to focus on writing. I am still adding bits as I can but work is slow right now as my real job takes all I have. Thanks for your patience it will happen, just not as quickly as I would like.

      Delete
    2. thx 4 answer :) I'll wait patiently.

      Delete
  11. 1. Surprise attack - there is no influence of attributes and skills (awareness, stealth) on surprise. Simple throw k6 for both sides of a conflict it's quite bad solution. Perhaps opposite test awareness vs stealth?
    2. Initiative - both sides cast k6, biggest result wins. IMO k6+MV sounds better, there is a bit deeper sense in this operation, it counts an innate speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marek, I would like to pick your brain about what exactly you are proposing - but this is not the best venue for lengthy discussions. Are you brave enough to join me in the forums? :)

      Delete
  12. It's been a while since you posted anything; I'm wondering if there's any update on Blades and Black Magic?

    ReplyDelete