What is Heroes & Other Worlds?

Heroes & Other Worlds is a game of adventure inspired by Metagaming's classic Melee/Wizard/TFT system combined with inspiration from the Moldvay edited basic game. The rules are easy to learn and use standard six sided dice. The system is simple, sensible and flexible in the spirit of classic role playing games from the early 80's. Become a Hero, Other Worlds await!

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Blades & Black Magic

Between work and family  I don't feel like I've had a break for quite some weeks.  Even though my book of ideas continues to blossom, the time and ability to sit for a few hours and make progress eludes me.  Perhaps this new idea is so obvious it took me a quiet cup of coffee and an exhausted mind to realize it.

Well in my morning stupor it struck me that I should make a sword & sorcery version of HOW.  One of the great things about the system and its progenitors is it fits quite well with the gritty and grim nature of Sword & Sorcery literature.  In fact thinking about it, it takes more effort to make it fit the D&D fantasy realm then it does to play out a gritty blades & black magic sort of game.

The only question I have is should players be able to use magic or not.  In my mind I think no...I can't recall a S&S hero who cast spells...but you are free to persuade me otherwise before the ink is dry.

So what does this mean for the HOW main book...sorry, that will remain on hold as this new muse sings her sweet tune in my ear.

3 comments:

  1. Oh,I commented on Sword & Shield before I saw this here. But quick answer: No magic. There was Elric and Grey Mouser but I think they are exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Narmer-I agree with you sir...but I'll leave the option open just in case...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Include magic, but make it a long and tedious process only available to those of highest power, who indulge in eldritch knowledge...

    ReplyDelete